The practice of architecture has changed dramatically since Integrus was founded in 1953. In some very important ways, however, certain fundamental truths remain the same: The interests of our clients are paramount, people are our most important asset, the most successful project results come out of teamwork, and, in order to continue to be leaders in the architectural and engineering field, we must never stop learning.

Watch Integrus architects, structural engineers, and interior designers talk about the firm in this short video.

1951

While a student at Harvard’s Graduate School of Design, Bruce Walker takes the $7,500 top prize in a nationwide NAHB / Architectural Forum small house competition. Second place goes to MIT professor of architecture Ralph Rapson.

1953

John McGough, a University of Idaho graduate, joins Bruce Walker’s fledgling Spokane architecture firm as a draftsman. On August 15, the two form Bruce Walker & John McGough, Associated Architects.

1955

The firm is renamed Walker, McGough & Trogdon with the addition of fellow Harvard GSD alum Bill Trogdon as a partner. Five years later, it reverts to Walker & McGough when Trogdon leaves to form his own firm.

1958

The Washington Water Power Central Service Facility, designed in association with fellow Spokane architect Ken Brooks, is completed. A year later, it earns Washington State’s first AIA National Honor Award.

1959

The completion of the Shelton Correctional Facility sets Walker & McGough on the path of justice expertise and leads to a number of high-profile projects both regionally – the Spokane Public Safety Building and the Coyote Ridge Corrections Center Expansion – and around the country.

1962

The University of Washington’s Plant Services Building is Walker & McGough’s first higher-education project. Over the next decade, the firm continues to perform work on the UW campus: Padelford Hall, the Performing Arts Building, Kane Hall, and Red Square.

1963

The Ridpath Motor Inn is the first of many Spokane landmarks designed by the firm. Other iconic desgins include the Farm Credit Banks Building (1969), Spokane Opera House (1974), Farm Credit Banks Tower (1982), Spokane Federal Courthouse (1967), and Spokane Convention Center Expansion (2006).

1967

Spokane’s Convent of the Holy Names is recognized as the finest architectural design in the nation by Progressive Architecture magazine. As built, the convent was one of 16 AIA National Honor Award winners in 1969.

1974

Renamed WMFL (for partners Bruce Walker, John McGough, Walt Foltz, and Jack Lyerla), the firm is selected for design of the Spokane Opera House and Washington State Expo Pavilion. Now known as the INB Performing Arts Center, it’s one of Spokane’s most recognizable landmarks.

1976

Integrus receives the commission for the Intercollegiate College of Nursing Education to be constructed near the campus of SFCC. The WSU College of Nursing, as it’s known today, moved to another Integrus-designed facility on Spokane’s Riverpoint campus in 2008.

1978

The SAFECO Divisional Office Building – a regional headquarters for eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana – is completed.

1982

The 18-story, block-long Farm Credit Banks Tower in downtown Spokane is completed. Through interior daylighting and a highly efficient energy recovery system, the building sets a standard for energy conservation that, 30 years later, would measure up to LEED™ design goals.

1986

WMFL opens an office in downtown Seattle.

1988

The completion of Whitworth Elementary School marks Integrus’ entry into the K–12 arena; 25 years later, the firm is known around the Pacific Northwest as much for its collaborative, community-focused approach as it is for the award-winning schools themselves.

1990

The seven-acre U.S. Embassy Compound in Bogotá, Colombia is the first of its kind for the firm. Its success leads to eight additional embassies and consulates around the globe.

1991

WMFL changes its name to Integrus Architecture.

1993

Integrus’ Spokane office relocates to the historic Carnegie Library. Built in 1904, the building occupies an entire city block just west of downtown.

1996

The first building on Spokane’s Riverpoint Higher Education Campus, the Phase I Classroom building sets the context and establishes the pattern for future development of the campus.

2002

Recognized for its innovative organizational strategy and highly sustainable design practices, Terrace Park K-8 School puts Integrus at the forefront of 21st-century school design.

2003

Integrus celebrates 50 years with the completion of White River High School in Buckley, Washington. Two years later, the project is the recipient of the prestigious CEFPI James D. MacConnell Award for School Facility Excellence.

2007

Integrus’ Seattle office relocates to the Union Trust Annex in Pioneer Square. Renovation of the space earns LEED™ Gold.

2008

The $190 million design/build Coyote Ridge Corrections Center in Connell, Washington is the first campus-type corrections center in the United States to achieve LEED™ Gold.

2011

A consulate compound in Tijuana is completed for the U.S. Department of State, along with embassy compounds in Djibouti and Sarajevo.

2012

Wenatchee Valley College’s Music & Arts Center plays a pivotal role in the transformation of the WVC campus from a traditional community college setting to the very future of education and technology.

2013

Now employing nearly 100 people, Integrus celebrates its 60th anniversary. The firm continues to be a leader both in the design of innovative learning environments and in alternative construction delivery methods with the new STEM Secondary School for the Lake Washington School District.

2014

Vashon Island High School, along with five other K-12 facilities, is completed. Vashon Island receives ongoing recognition, including the 2015 AIA Committee on Architecture for Education (CAE) Design Excellence Award and the 2015 AIA Washington Council Civic Design Honor Award.